Apply the knowledge and skills you acquire in the classroom in a real-world setting.
The semester-long practicum can take place in the United States or anywhere else in the world at an organization of your choosing. Your practicum work will be related to your coursework and career goals. Practicums may be paid professional positions or unpaid internships.
During this period, you’ll remain engaged with faculty and other students and receive course credit for documenting the integration of your knowledge and skills while working in a professional context.
Practicum placements provide in-depth, hands-on learning; enhance résumés; and expand professional contacts.
Previous practicum placements include:
- Program Facilitator, SIT Youth Peacebuilding and Leadership Programs (Brattleboro, VT)
- Assistant, Cross-Cultural Relationships, Kiskiminetas Presbytery (Yatesboro, PA)
- Program Director, Caribbean-Central American Action (Washington, DC)
- Peace First Teacher, AmeriCorps (Washington, DC)
- Peacemakers' Workshop Facilitator, Peace Learning Center of Milwaukee, Inc. (Milwaukee, WI)
- Administrative Coordinator, Center for Cultural Interchange (Chicago, IL)
- Regional Coordinator, Junior Youth Program, Magdalene Carney Baha'i Institute (West Palm Beach, FL)
- Intern, Middle East Children’s Alliance (Berkeley, CA)
- Reintegration Assistant, Mercy Corps International (Washington, DC)
- Research Assistant, Hudson Institute (Washington, DC)
- Peacebuilding Program Coordinator, The Pastoralist Peace and Development Initiative (Kenya)
- Administrative Director, The Jerusalem Inter-Cultural Center
- Youth Empowerment Facilitator, Institut pour l'Education Populaire (Mali)
- Conflict Transformation Intern, Henry Martyn Institute (India)
- Coordinator Assistant, Cooperazione Internazionale (Italy)
- Program Coordinator, Sahabat Pesantren Indonesia (Indonesia)
- Research and Mediation Project Assistant, CSSP – Berlin Center for Integrative Mediation (Germany)
* Students find positions on their own with support from SIT's Career and Practicum Services Center.