SIT's Language and Culture Department furthers SIT's commitment to creating an environment rich in the diversity of people and points of view. The department aims to build and maintain a diverse campus community and to provide language and culture courses that meet the needs of SIT students. The department develops and refines initiatives that encourage and support students and others as they explore and understand the many facets of diversity and interconnectedness.
The department's mission is to provide high-quality, flexible language learning opportunities to:
- SIT students, faculty, and staff
- Local community members
- Foreign language teachers
The faculty's years of experience as teachers of language and culture helps ensure the best possible learning environment for students. Faculty and staff are committed to maximizing each language learner's ability to define and work toward his or her individual goals through:
- Semester courses in Arabic, French, and Spanish (classes may vary by semester)
- Guided Self Instruction (GSI) in less commonly taught languages, as requested
The department also provides English-language instruction for international students, including semester courses in advanced oral and written English, as well as reading and presentation skills.
To support all SIT students, the Language and Culture Department offers the services of peer writing tutors during the academic year. Writing tutors work with students individually to improve their writing skills.
Fall and Spring Semester Classes
Language classes meet Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30-8:15 p.m. Classes carry two undergraduate credits.
Schedules are subject to change, and classes may be modified or canceled depending on enrollment.
Fall and Spring Semester Tuition for Non-SIT Students
Non-SIT Students and community members 17 and older may enroll in Language and Culture Department courses on a space-available basis.
Tuition is $1,400 for two undergraduate credits; non-credit tuition is $700. Non-credit tuition for seniors 62 and older is $501.
- If you have no previous experience with the language, please register for a Beginning course (1000).
- If you have one semester of previous study in the language, please register for a High Beginning course (1500).
- If you have one to two semesters of previous study, register for Intermediate I (2000).
- If you have two or more semesters, register for Intermediate II (2500).
- If you have advanced proficiency in the language, register for Advanced (3000).
Please contact the Language and Culture Department at email@example.com if you have questions about language classes or levels.
Please complete and return the Language Class Application to register.