Apply the knowledge and skills you acquire in the classroom while engaging in the field of sustainable development in real-world settings.
Following the on-campus coursework phase, each student completes a professional practicum with an organization of his/her choosing.* The practicum must be related to the student’s coursework and career goals and be for a minimum of six months. Practicums may be paid professional positions or unpaid internships.
During this period — referred to as Reflective Practice — students remain engaged with faculty and other students and receive course credit for documenting the integration of their knowledge and skills while working in a professional context.
Practicum placements provide in-depth, hands-on learning; enhance résumés; and expand professional contacts.
Recent practicum placements held by students in the sustainable development program include:
- Program Director, Africa Projects, NextAid (Los Angeles, California)
- Program Coordinator, Foundation for Sustainable Development (San Francisco, California)
- Economics Intern, United Nations Development Programme (New York, New York)
- Food Access and Urban Agriculture Intern, Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Micro Credit Projects Coordinator, American Relief Agency for the Horn of Africa (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- Short-term Consultant, World Bank (Washington, DC)
- Kiva Fellow, Kiva Microfunds (San Francisco, California)
- Legislative Intern, Bluegreen Alliance (Washington, DC)
- Policy Research Analyst/Intern, Vermont Energy Investment Corporation (Burlington, Vermont)
- Program Coordinator, Fair Trade Resource Network (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Economic Justice Intern, Oxfam America (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Micro Business Loan Developer, Holy Rosary Credit Union (Kansas City, Missouri)
- Program Advocate, FAIR Fund (Washington, DC)
- Proposal Writer and Project Manager, FORMATEL (Haiti)
- Commissioner, National Elections Commission (Liberia)
- Program Officer, Embassy of Sweden Nairobi (Kenya)
- Program Assistant/Intern, ProAct Network (Switzerland)
- Project Manager, CARE International (Switzerland)
- Research Intern, Tibetan Women's Association (India)
- Monitoring/Evaluation Coordinator, The Environment and Rural Development Foundation (Cameroon)
- Assistant Research Team Leader, Norwegian People's Aid (Norway)
- Coordinator, Migrants Rights International (Switzerland)
* Students find positions on their own with support from SIT's Career and Practicum Services Center.