Apply the knowledge and skills you acquire in the classroom while engaging in the field in real-world settings.
Following the on-campus coursework phase, each student completes a professional practicum with an organization of his/her choosing.* The practicum must be related to the student’s coursework and career goals and be for a minimum of six months. Practicums may be paid professional positions or unpaid internships.
During this period — referred to as the Reflective Practice — students remain engaged with faculty and other students and receive course credit for documenting the integration of their knowledge and skills while working in a professional context.
Practicum placements provide in-depth, hands-on learning; enhance résumés; and expand professional contacts.
Recent practicum placements held by students in the self-designed MA program include:
- Field Coordinator, American Red Cross (Washington, DC)
- Program Coordinator, The Mariposa DR Foundation (Ithaca, New York)
- Program Coordinator, Spark Teacher Education Institute (Putney, Vermont)
- Programs Administrator, Shared Hope International (Vancouver, Washington)
- Outreach and Education Intern, Democracy Now! (New York, New York)
- Municipal Development Advisor, Peace Corps (Washington, DC)
- Consultant, Regenesis Group (Santa Fe, Mexico)
- Princeton Bridge Year Coordinator, ProWorld Service Corps (San Francisco, California)
- Internal Program Director, Project MotiVATe (Fountain Valley, California)
- Student Affairs Manager, International Field Studies (Nelsonville, Ohio)
- Senior Editor, Bread for the World USA (Washington, DC)
- Placement Liaison Office, US Peace Corps (Washington, DC)
- Program Development Officer, Samaritan's Purse International Relief (Boone, North Carolina)
- Associate Field Office Coordinator, Global Health Action (Decatur, Georgia)
- Country Director, AfricAid (Lakewood, Colorado)
- Project Manager and Proposal Writer, FORMATEL (Haiti)
- Consultant, Oro Savings and Sharing Cooperative (Philippines)
- Intern, Protection Unit, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (Switzerland)
- Legal Development Intern, South East Asia Investigations into Social and Humanitarian Activities (Cambodia)
- Program Associate, The Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (Israel)
- Program Coordinator, Taiwan Alliance to Combat Trafficking (Taiwan)
* Students find positions on their own with support from SIT's Career and Practicum Services Center.