This program comprises online coursework, two three-week summer sessions on SIT’s campus in Vermont, an Interim-Year Teaching Practicum, an area of concentration, and an Independent Professional Project (thesis), for a total of 34 credits.
Phase one courses (26 credits)
- Foundations (1 credit, online)
- Approaches to Teaching Second Languages (3 credits, online and face to face)
- Teaching the Four Skills (3 credits, online)
- Intercultural Communications for Language Teachers (3 credits, online and face to face)
- English Applied Linguistics (4 credits, online and face to face)
- Second Language Acquisition (3 credits, online and face to face)
- Curriculum Design and Assessment (2 credits, online)
- Interim-Year Teaching Practicum (6 credits over two semesters, online and face to face)
- Sandanona Conference (1 credit, face to face)
Phase two courses (8 credits)
- Specialization Seminar (3 credits, online)
- Plurilinguistic Pedagogy
- Teacher Training and Teacher Development
- Teaching Refugees and Displaced Persons
- Teaching Young Learners
- Independent Professional Project (5 credits, online)
The Independent Professional Project, or thesis, is the final component of this program. In addition to being a significant personal achievement, the project should be of interest and value to others in the profession and of publishable quality.
Projects may take a variety of formats, allowing you to focus on a topic that will benefit you in your development as a second-language teacher:
- An academic research paper
- A classroom-based action research project
- A materials development project
Review past Independent Professional Projects completed by students in our MA in TESOL programs.
This is a two-year program. You must complete the program, including the Independent Professional Project (thesis), within the two-year timeframe. If this deadline is missed you may petition for an extension.